The Death of Me
“It’s gonna be the death of me.” You’ve probably heard that expression used for many things – a job, a relationship, a responsibility. But you don’t often think, “That Jesus is gonna be the death of me.” Honestly, our church culture has embraced the false teaching that Jesus empowers you to live your life. The truth is the polar opposite: following Christ requires losing your life.
Our study in Mark arrives at a pivotal moment – where Jesus foretells His own death and also calls His followers to die as well. The first half of Mark’s Gospel was summarized by “The servant of God LIVES his life in SERVICE.” This second half is summarized by, “The servant of God GIVES his life in SACRIFICE.”
But it’s not all doom & gloom. Just as Jesus laying down His life gave way to being raised to new life, so ME dying gives way to CHRIST living in me. In this series, you’ll learn specific areas that God has called you to DEATH as well as specific ways that He raises you to LIFE.
1) The Design of Death (7/1/2018) from Mark 8:27-33. By James DeKoker
2) The Call to Death (7/8/2018) from Mark 8:34-38. By James DeKoker
3) The Promise of Death (7/15/2018) from Mark 9:1-13. By James DeKoker
4) Dead to my Ability; Alive to God’s Ability (7/29/2018) from Mark 9:14-29. By James DeKoker
5) Dead to Pride; Alive to Humility (9/9/2018) from Mark 9:30-41. By James DeKoker